Fueling twigs & honey :: Our organic garden

Posted on | Monday, June 9, 2008 | 3 Comments

Somewhere between piles of netting and silks and the buckets of paint and half emptied boxes, I squeezed in a bit of gardening this weekend. Matt and I were on attempt #3 with the studio wall paint color and FINALLY, got it right! We also went to a lovely nursery over the weekend and picked up a beautiful ginkgo tree (one of my favorites) among other plants. If I ever learned anything from studying Urban Forestry, it was that the ginkgo makes a wonderful tree in urban settings in terms of return on investment, low maintenance, aesthetically pleasing, and overall hardiness. While at the ag school to go to during my grad school years, I had to take a gardening course because it would be a shame not to! It was one of my most memorable and fulfilling courses I ever took and really steered Matt and I on a path of eating healthy organic and locally grown foods, or foods we could grow ourselves. I have been gardening since I was a tot, but never admit to having a green thumb by any stretch of the imagination, but the class did teach me so much and I'm hoping our little garden is fruitful in a couple months time! So here's to growing your own food the organic way! I hope that it will help me ward off migraines and cravings for sweets.... If I grow it, I have to eat it!



Our humble little garden. I should have taken a "before" picture. In keeping with the "organic" plan, I hand weeded this plot. It was pretty overgrown with weeds! I shoveled and turned over the soil and mixed into the top few inches, organic compost, an organic booster blend, and some extra soil to give our veggies a fighting chance. If you can believe it, here's the list of what I planted: 2 types of cucumber, Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, hot peppers, 2 types of bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, butternut squash, honeydew melons, watermelon, 3 types of strawberries, snow peas, peas, 5 types of lettuce, thyme, basil, rosemary, dahlias and cosmos (for color). Hard to believe it fit, huh? Just goes to show that you really can grow your own food in a small space. What is your excuse? ;)



Lovely cosmos bloom.



Cyclamen, inpatients, sweet peas, and dusty miller plants waiting patiently to be potted.



Our ginkgo!

Comments

3 Responses to “Fueling twigs & honey :: Our organic garden”

  1. (wife.)
    June 10, 2008 at 12:13 AM

    Myra - basically... you're my hero. :-D

    Wendy

  2. Anonymous
    June 10, 2008 at 7:13 AM

    Wow...Myra, your little garden is amazing! I bet home grown vegie taste sweeter. Now you'll have to show us the dishes you cook from your garden. :)

  3. Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 at 2:23 AM

    I love LOVE love it! Is it true about organic warding off the migraines? I might just have to have you ship some of that organic produce with my next order!! :) That is so neat and gardening classes for units? Sign me up! I might have to take up Billy's moms offer to come down and help us start a garden too!

Twigs & Honey products

Brand new! Myra Callan Bridal line

Purchase my new book through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

t&h_shop Photobucket

Some love

Portland Bride & Groom  Loves Us!

Search This Blog

Archives