The woes of high speed internet

Posted on | Thursday, May 8, 2008 | 10 Comments

So I am going to try to make this a one time vent just because it literally affected twigs & honey and I thought others would benefit from knowing.

A certain unnamed high speed internet provider Matt and I use thinks it's okay to limit use for some of its Residential users. You know what I say to that... "What the?!"

It all started a couple months ago as twigs & honey was gaining momentum and my time on the internet to do convos and listings increased. Randomly, the internet would appear to be on the fritz but wouldn't be completely shut off. I'd be able to get to a very few number of very plain sites... "Google" for instance, but not Etsy, PayPal, my email, my blog, or essentially anything else that was secure. This all seemed highly suspicious and after some google detective work found out that (and perhaps this is widely known and I'm just slow) this unnamed internet provider moniters high use customers and just turns off their ability to access the majority of sites during the most random times of the day. Supposedly, it's at peak hours, but regardless of when, I say that is a bunch of garbage really. If they need to limit some users during peak hours, why do they continue to sell the service?? They are overselling and this is their solution? Perhaps they should think to improve the infrastructure of the network before they oversell and then limit users to the services they pay for. Why do we pay for "unlimited" high speed internet every month when you really are NOT getting to use it for an unlimited amount of time?! It's as if the most dedicated customers, those who need it the most, are the ones most snubbed. Doesn't this seem completely unfair and misleading?? Perhaps it is all in the fine print, but they market it as unlimited access and why even set up home internet if you don't have the ability to hop on when you need to? If I don't have a guarantee - actually - if I'm essentially punished for using the service I pay for too much, why shouldn't I just quit the service and go to my local coffee shop that charges less for a cup of joe? It's like cell phones. With cell phones, they are very upfront with how many minutes you are allotted and if you have unlimited minutes. I hate how cell phone companies charge ridiculous amounts for minutes over your plan BUT at least they let you know that you only have "X" number of minutes to use AND at least you have the option in emergencies to pay extra if you need to. With this internet company... they just disconnect your service essentially. It's kind of like, "Oh, well you have had your fill of the internet for now, so we're cutting you off." Thanks.

Long story short, I get booted off the service I pay for sometimes 3, 4, 5, 6+ hours at a time and it is highway robbery. If I'm only allowed to use it for a limited amount of time, I'd like for the bill to be prorated please. Ridiculous really.

When I discussed with customer service reps, they told me, "it could be this, or this, or blah blah." When I suggested all of the above, they said, "Oh yes. We do that with high users. We limit their access." ?!
Their solution: Upgrade to Business high speed that costs double what we're paying now AND you must sign a 2-3 year contract and if you discontinue the service within the 2-3 years, you must pay 75% of the balance. Wonderful.
The thing is that I don't need faster uploads or any other whistles and bells. I just want to have what I pay for and that is "unlimited" internet. They essentially try to stronghold you into switching for a more costly service that we don't need. It's all very deceptive if you ask me.

So I apologize for the vent but I thought I'd explain a portion of my sometimes longer times for responding to customer convos. If you are experiencing a similar high speed internet problem, this is probably the reason. I think something should be done about it. But what?

Thanks for listening!!

Comments

10 Responses to “The woes of high speed internet”

  1. mrs. j
    May 8, 2008 at 7:50 AM

    Maybe your internet provider is my internet provider because I seem to have the same problem.

    On a side note I am a huge HUGE fan of your work! I was randomly searching ETSY for wedding accessories and your shop came up.

    Your hair pieces simply stunning!

  2. boody
    May 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM

    DUDE, i have the same problem here in California! SO FRUSTRATING!!!

  3. Beth
    May 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM

    That is ridiculous! Better Business Bureau their butts. Better yet, can you change ISPs? Or at least threaten to? In my area, it's basically a monopoly, but maybe you have other options (even dial-up as a backup plan might be good, now that Twigs & Honey *is* your job, which is awesome). Plus, don't you get to write off your access as a business expense? ;)

  4. Anonymous
    May 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM

    Ha! So THAT is what they are doing! They do that to Billy and I too! We have the internet also on our PS3 and magically does not work for 5 hour blocks almost every night! And yes, when we would call they would ALWAYS try to upsell us and Billy kept leaning towards it and I told them the same thing; why am I going to pay more for something we do not need when they can't even have their basic services properly functioning! Well, wouldn't you love it? They upgraded us anyways, even though I heard Billy tell them no, and the bill is in MY name, so I called to complain about the bill, and just like magic they erased it and had no idea how we ever got "accidentally" upgraded. I can't wait to tell Billy what you discovered! love ya girl and hang in there!!!!!

  5. Myra - twigs and honey
    May 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM

    Oh! Doesn't it just suck?

    And yes, I do get to write it off but in the end, it's still going to cost more and I just get frustrated more about the fact that it seems they advertise their services innacurately, which isn't fair to customers. If I pay for residential and write it off, I am still out something and if I pay for business, I'll write it off but am still out more than with residential. It definitely is a monopoly. I know the gov't has been trying to do something about it and I think it's still being looked into but who knows. I am sure that if enough people will complain about it that they will have to change their ways. We hope! In any matter, the dial-up as a backup plan sounds highly intelligent except... and this is the kicker... our landline phone is through the internet! haha! So I'm still screwed.

    Thank you everyone for the feedback and supportive words and ideas! Thanks kariandbrad for the sweet words on twigs & honey pieces!

    To be continued...

  6. Myra - twigs and honey
    May 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM

    oh sheesh! Really Tiffany?? Argh!! Your story really ticks me off! *sigh*
    They are so sneaky!!!

  7. Unknown
    May 9, 2008 at 7:30 AM

    I think we have the same internet provider - i get booted off for 3+ hours at least once a week (and usually when i really need to be online!)

  8. Anonymous
    May 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM

    I really like your custom pieces and I am interested in getting one done for my wedding I am getting married August 16, 2008 do you think it would be possible to get something done it that amount of time. please email me back at michelleouimet@gmail.com

  9. tina
    May 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM

    I'm guessing that this means that you're on a cable modem. With a cable modem, your entire neighborhood shares the same pipe, so heavy users can impact others. You should look into DSL. With DSL, your Internet service runs on your telephone line, so you're not sharing anything with anyone. If you're anti-land line, many carriers offer naked DSL, which doesn't require a phone line. And if your business gets huge, you can always run a T-1 line directly to your house! I am really not a nerd. I am working on an Internet project at work right now. :)

  10. Myra - twigs and honey
    May 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM

    Haha! Love it, Tina... thank you! I'm going to take notes on all the internet jargon and look into it. Thank you!

Twigs & Honey products

Brand new! Myra Callan Bridal line

Purchase my new book through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

t&h_shop Photobucket

Some love

Portland Bride & Groom  Loves Us!

Search This Blog

Archives